Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Top Ten on my Bookshelf

I'm starting to pack up our books, so between that and making the Library page for this blog, I've had books on the mind. Here are my TOP TEN books (I think....I hope I didn't forget something epic! This really should be a "top 100 list"...but I might lose you on that one). By the way, I'm leaving out the Bible because 1) it's a given and 2) can you really put any other books on the same list as your Bible?
    The Hiding Place
  1. The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom. Underlined. Highlighted. Bold. Large letters! I can't emphasize this book enough. I have read this book 6 times at least and it is more powerful every time. Corrie and her family lived in Holland when the Nazis occupied it during WWII, and this is the story of how they hid Jews, underwent the terrors of Nazi concentration camps, and learned that Jesus' light shines in the darkest places. Two stories that have stuck with me: Corrie shaking the hand of the Nazi guard that beat her sister, and Betsie (who, did I mention, is my hero) praying and thanking God for the lice that infested their barracks (and what happened after that).
  2. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. These are like old friends...I feel like I know Lucy, Edmund, and Mrs. Beaver quite personally.
  3. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. Actually, I could fill this whole list up with books by Lewis.
  4. The Shadow of the Almighty: The Life and Testament of Jim Elliot by Elisabeth Elliot about her husband, Jim Elliot.
  5. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. This is just fun. I like hobbits and how much they eat (and how often they have tea!).
  6. The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald. A childhood favorite. I love Irene's great grandmother (and the description of her amazing bed). 
  7. Run, Baby Run by Nicky Cruz. The intense autobiography of a former violent gang leader turned follower of Jesus.
  8. 'Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis
  9. A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken. A true love story where Sheldon learns that his love for his Savior must be first--at whatever cost. My husband and I read this book together with tears streaming down both of our faces at the end (one of the very few times I've seen my hubby cry!).
  10. My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers. A very meaty devotional.
Of course, I've left out Watership Down, Jane Eyre, Little Men, and the list goes on. What else did I miss?

This post is linked to Top Ten {Tuesday}. :)

    Share/Bookmark

    6 comments:

    1. I was an English major, and one of my favorite professors TOTALLY loved The Princess and the Goblin. I think I read it twice. Got to say, not a favorite of mine. I think it's one you either love or hate!

      But I love the rest of your list. :) Not familiar with all of them, but will have to look into them.

      ReplyDelete
    2. This is a WONDERFUL LIST! I'm a C.S. Lewis fan myself! :) I haven't read Till We Have Faces YET, but your list has reminded me that I need to! Mere Christianity is one of my faves!

      I also love the Hiding Place. One of the very few books that actually made me cry.

      ReplyDelete
    3. You know, I keep seeing a bunch of quotes from CS Lewis but have never read one of his books. It's definitely on my to-do list. Thanks for the recommendations!

      ReplyDelete
    4. @ Amy Bennett--yes, do!! I also love The Screwtape Letters and The Great Divorce, both by Lewis.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Also a CS Lewis Fan, and the hiding place is one of the few books that I have been able to read more than once. Other wise I'm just a read and get rid of it kind of girl.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Loved the Hiding Place - I remember the scenes you talked about. However, I don't think I've read it since I became a Christian. Thinking it will have a totally different impact on me now. Need to jump over to Paperbackswap and get a copy.

      Great List

      ReplyDelete

    I love your comments. :) I know your time is precious, so I appreciate the time you spend reading and giving feedback.

    Please be respectful of others and kind with your words.