Friday, September 17, 2010

Jillian Gets A Second Chance

Today, before tackling day 5!
For awhile there, Jillian Michaels and I were not on speaking terms.

You'll be happy to know we've patched things up.

As of today, I have successfully completed 5 days of the 30 Day Shred!

I decided to take the plunge when I heard that Jen, Crystal, and a host of other bloggers were banding together to go through the 30 Day shred and keep each other accountable. Since my last dreadful encounter with the 30 Day Shred, I have been working out 2 times a week, on average, so I thought I might be ready to take it up a notch.

And so far, so good! Here's how it's going:
  • Day 1 and 2 were horrible. Not as bad as last time (for sure!), but I was struggling to get through. It's the strength circuits that kill me--and I'm only using 2 lb weights! Now, on day 5, I noticed that my endurance is much better and I am less out of breath. That's not to say that I'm not extremely relieved when I finish each day!
  • Wearing tennis shoes helps. Not sure why I didn't do this before.
  • I've learned to keep a glass of water handy and steal sips as often as I can. I get SO THIRSTY during this workout! 
  • My last tip is this: if you've had a baby anytime recently (is 9 months ago recent?) then be sure to pee prior to starting the workout. Otherwise you'll have to make a break for it in middle of the workout, which I'm sure is against all of Jillian's "NO REST!" rules.
AFTER the Day 5 Workout--Whew!
 Overall, it's going so well! I feel great, you guys. The soreness has let up, I'm sleeping well at night, and I'm excited that I've been consistent with this! I'm hoping to do the entire 30 days, although I will probably take Sundays off. :)

So far, I have stuck with Level 1 only--I'm guessing I'll spend 10 days on Level 1, 10 on Level 2, and 10 on Level 3. The thought of Level 3 still petrifies me, but I'm just going to take it one day at a time right now.



I love how each workout is only 20 minutes and all it involves is a mat, weights, and a little stubbornness. I'll update you next week on how I'm doing! You can join in too, if you want! If you want, drop me a message via the comments or email (aliciashomemaking @ gmail . com) and I'll personally check in on you each day and cheer you on. If I can do this, you can to!

Moments before the camera almost met it's demise
Do you have an exercise routine? Share what works/doesn't work for you...



Linked to Company Girl Coffee and Finer Things Friday.

Share/Bookmark

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're doing great! I've never done any of Jillian's workouts, but I've heard they are killers :) May have to try one after I have this baby.

    To lose all my baby weight with Lily I did Denise Austin's Bounce Back After Baby dvd and I'm currently doing her Fit and Firm Pregnancy dvd 5x each week. I love that the workouts are only 20 minutes- good for mommies with littles :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratualtions on five days of shredding! LOL at the advice to take care of business beforehand. I've found it helps me feel less thirsty if I drink a couple full glasses of water half an hour before exercise (which kind of cancels out the remembering to potty beforehand, I guess, LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  3. My exercise routine is currently "look at the thermometer" after Susannah's breakfast and determine if it's cool enough still to load her up in the stroller and go walking. I do a piddly 1/2 mile so far, but should be able to kick it up another 1/4 mile w/out a problem. I am SO ready to get rid of this baby flab, when I read you were starting the 30 Day Shred, I wondered if I might want (ha!) to try it too. If nothing else, it should at least be a good kick-start in the right direction. Would there be any reason to NOT do it 6mo. post-partum? I'm kinda hoping there is a good reason. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl. I run with my big double Bob stroller-pushing 80 pounds of stroller and two babies helped me take off about 15 pounds in the last 4 months! I'm almost back down to my wedding weight and Hubs is HIGHLY happy about it. As am I. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are soooo cute! Keep it up Alicia, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey that's awesome! good for you!! I love the Shred, I might have to pick it back up! After we move next week, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, good job! keep it up!!! you're a sixth of the way through!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agree that Day 1 and 2 were killer. I'm at Day 5 too and it's going great. I'm sleeping wonderfully at night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been seriously considering buying this. I'm a runner and run 3xs a week, but am looking for something to fit in in between runs. My other blogger friend is doing this, too, so I just may hop on the bandwagon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh girl good for you. I did the 30 day shred last year, and did it for a full 30 days, felt strong as all get out, and even lost 9 lbs. To me level 2 was the killer, 3 was hard, but I hated 2 with a passion.

    Maybe I will jump on the band wagon. Email and pester me everyday. I need it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Major congrats on your success with The Shred. I've always been too itimidated to try it, but I have huge respect for Jillian. Best wishes as you continue!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the camera's near demise. :) He needs a kiss!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the pictures:) I am about to start this!! Thanks for the tip about using the bathroom:) Although I had my last baby nine years ago...any jumping around causes a need to use the bathroom at unexpected moments, LOL! Way to go and it's great that you're sticking with it. I can't wait to get started. I need to do this! Keep on keepin' on!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is awesome! I'll jump on the wagon with you and Jenna. I started September 1st but gave up after 6 days. I don't know why I do this, but I know it's best to just do it! Thanks for your motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job on the 30 day shred! I did it awhile back and it was KILLER the first two or three days. I didn't know if I was going to be able to walk down our steps after day 2! It is a great workout, though. I wouldn't mind starting it back up again but it will have to wait. I am trying to get ready to run my first 5K next weekend so I am totally focussed on being able to run it without dying!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Alicia,
    I ride my bike a lot; have a smal bike hanging behind mine for my son and my daughter sits in the seat behind me. Ride the bike to and from school and the shops, so hope to get my exercise that way. Keep up with the good work!!!
    (started posting in English on my blog as of today, so you can read what my life in Holland is like!)
    Love Amelie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for all of your encouragement, ladies...I have enjoyed reading your comments. :)

    @Kelly: Good for you for working out during your pregnancy! I am really hoping to do that next time, since it didn't happen at all with baby #1.

    @Miriam: No excuses for you, lol! Really, I wish I had done this a few months ago. Not to discourage your walks, though--that sounds nice! I'm looking forward to taking Squishy for more walks when the weather is cooler.

    @Ammie: WOW! I'm impressed. Pushing a stroller and running is no joke. I did it for the first time the other way and was blown away. I smiled at the comment about your hubby being happy...Mine is proud of me, too, for really tackling this working out thing head-on!

    @Christi: You're doing more work than any of us...keep those feet up! Love you.

    @Jen: YES, hop on!

    @Jenna: Will email you. :D

    @Cindy Swanson: Please don't be intimidated. I'm no exercise guru, and that's for sure. You could do it!

    @Doug & Jhona: Yay! I'd love to hear how it goes for you.

    @Candi: Awesome!

    @OneMoreEqualsFour: I want to run a race after I finish the Shred...it's been so hot here for running, but fall is around the corner...

    @Amelie: Yay, I just visited and commented on your blog...:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on sticking to it! I'm just starting the Jillian Michael's "No More Trouble Zones" DVD...its longer (50 minutes). I also started running about 3 months ago. My youngest is 6 months & I'm trying to get "less flabby"..hahaha! I'd love to be "pestered" each day...domesticnerd@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. :) I know your time is precious, so I appreciate the time you spend reading and giving feedback.

Please be respectful of others and kind with your words.