Friday, October 1, 2010

September At Our Place

Taking a family walk (a break between studying!)
What a sweet (and busy!) month September was for our family.

Andrew has had his nose to the grindstone with PA School and is starting to speak in a language that even I (an ICU nurse) have a hard time deciphering. Words like hemochromatosis and erythrocyte protoporphyrins float around the house and last night's dinner conversation revolved around treatment for Coumadin overdose.

The level of study required for his program produces a certain degree of isolation, and this can be discouraging to Andrew. But we have both taken heart at something my father told us: Andrew is loving people in the future by diligently applying himself now. In our hearts we know that this is exactly where God wants us.

Squishy is 10 months old now, and just when I think he has gotten into every possible thing, he discovers something new. He is starting to imitate words and understands "no." And he gives wonderful cuddles each day before I put him down for his naps. Sheer bliss.

In my SAHM role, I realized this month that several of the good things that had found their way into my schedule were crowding out the best things. This is always a balancing act, isn't it? In this season of my life, I know that I have some very clear "assignments" and in order to carry them out, other things will have to go by the wayside. And that's ok. It's freeing to me to remember that I cannot and should not take on everything.

This past month I did tackle getting back in shape, and wow! That has been fabulous. Until, that is, I came down with tonsillitis and was banished to the couch for the good part of this past week. So sad! I am hoping to be fully recovered by this weekend so that I can submit to Jillian's torture again by next week at the latest. I'm guessing that 7+ days without shredding means that I'm supposed to start over at Day 1 with the 30 Day Shred? Dear me!

In other news, this blog is beginning to take on more direction in my mind. I'm slowly drawing out some posts about my heart in relationship to blogging, which you can expect to see over the course of this month. Plus, the end of October marks a very special date (more on that later!). I have really enjoyed connecting with many of you on the Alicia's Homemaking facebook page and on Twitter. Thanks for being awesome readers!


Our family finished out this month by spending the weekend with dear friends and family at our church's annual camp retreat. We ate camp food together, bounced each other's babies, were challenged by solid teachings, sung loud songs, played in the lake, and participated in human foosball. With any luck, there will be a vlog on that later.

That's all for now, folks! I'm looking forward to what October has in store. OH, and did I mention that we are finally feeling the first cool weather here in Florida!? Love it.



Linked to Company Girl Coffee.
Share/Bookmark

15 comments:

  1. So much of what you wrote "hits me right here." I, too, have been feeling like the "good" is trying to crowd out the "best," and I need to pray for strength to focus on the "best." I'm a firm believer of "it's o.k. to say "no"" but I don't always implement my beliefs... I guess I always think saying "no" only applies to the "bigger" stuff and not the small, everyday stuff - guess I need to work on that, too!

    I'm eager to read your future posts you mention. And starting over with The Shred?! Uggh. I hope you're feeling all the way better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice post. I am definitely struggling here and there with what is my highest priority in the day. I think we all do as mamas. :) But the way I see it? One day at a time. And congrats on you guys getting through the hard job of studying and raising a family while being a student. What an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alicia, you are obviously a woman wise beyond your years and what a blessing to read your blog. There are so many good things vying for our time and we MUST save our time for the best. So great that you are already realizing that.

    Enjoyed stopping by and may you be abundantly blessed in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great month. My husband went back to get his MBA a few years ago...it was a couple of tough years, but we got through it, I know you guys can. So sorry that you have been sick, hope you get back to 100% soon and can get back to shredding!

    Sounds like a fun retreat, we are experiencing the cooler weather here, too. I thought I would embrace it...but I am freezing~ I guess I am never satisfied! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what your dad said - so often we focus so much on the problems we are having with today, forgetting that the effort today leads to the blessings tomorrow.

    Wonderful for you to be looking for God's best instead of what is just good - looking forward to you sharing some of that journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a balancing act - a lot of days I feel like my equilibrium is way off! hehehe

    Love the bathtub picture - When I pull my boys out of the tub they always smell so sweet and love to snuggle. You picture reminded me of that - thanks for the smile this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks busy and beautiful at your house! I love the qoute by your dad! Every so often I find I need to let go of the "I shoulds" and yes, it is indeed a balancing act!
    Blessings on your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good stuff! You've definitely piqued my curiousity about the posts to come...

    ReplyDelete
  9. That quote from your dad is great. I can't believe our babies are only 3 months apart. It makes such a difference right now, but before you know it they will be "the same age".

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so with you on the "good" things that are not the "best" things. I am looking forward to (in a way) letting go of some of those "good" things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you are all better now. Looking forward to things to come in October here on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwww, your little guy is so adorable!

    So sorry about your tonsillitis. I was down with something earlier this week too...no fun!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved this blog post! And I can totally relate to the 30 day shred torture :) I have just started doing Jillian's no more trouble zones workout. And my just started I mean i did it once and was so sore the next day that I haven't done it again yet. perhaps tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great thoughts! My husband was getting a double master back when we started having babies. Those were tough years. Not sure I was as wise as you are now. Hang in there this time will be but a distant memory before you know it!

    Hope you are feeling 100%...Mom's don't have time to be sick!

    Blessings,
    LydiaCate

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, ended up here from Menu Plan Monday...I read this post and thought: "Ooh, ooh, I know what hemochromatosis is!"

    Of course, that's only because it runs in my husband's family and he (a grad student himself) talked about it non-stop last fall while he wrote a paper on it.

    And okay, really all I know is that it has something to do with the body producing too much iron and can kill your liver (I think it's the liver?) and it can be counteracted by monthly blood draws, but really that's enough should the topic come up at a party. And with a science-y husband, that's a very real possibility. So, there you go, you can feel smart, too! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. :) I know your time is precious, so I appreciate the time you spend reading and giving feedback.

Please be respectful of others and kind with your words.