Monday, January 10, 2011
My godfather is the most broadly educated man I know, and I'm not even sure if he has a college degree.
As a young man, he made a decision to read a book a week. He has kept that up for years, now reading even more than ever. History, fiction, philosophy, science, biographies, and so on. When almost any topic is broached, he can converse about it with ease, instead of shrugging his shoulders unknowingly. It's awesome!
Last year I made a smaller-scaled goal of reading a book every 2-3 weeks. I love delving into a good book, but my 2010 reading goal majorly flopped. For the first time ever, I believe I spent more time writing than I did reading. The writing has been oh-so-good for me, but to write well (among other things) I must read more.
So I'm breaking it down to an even more do-able goal this year: 1 book a month. My desire is to read more than that, but a book a month is my bare-minimum goal.
Are you ready for my 12 books? They are:
1. Shepherding A Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp
2. One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp
3. The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby
4. Hinduism by H.L. Richard
5. Peace Child by Don Richardson
6. The Fortune of War by Patrick O'Brian
7. Competent To Counsel by Jay E. Adams
8. Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois
9. The Autobiography of George Muller by (you guessed it!) George Muller
10. The Hidden Art of Homemaking by Edith Schaeffer
11. Sampson and the Pirate Monks: Calling Men to Authentic Brotherhood by Nate Larkin
12. To be decided! What's your absolute favorite book that you would add to this list? Besides the Bible, ya'll. That one's a given. :D
Last month, I picked up the book Bruchko and couldn't put it down. It's the story of a 19-year-old who took off for the jungles of Venezuala (without the backing of a missions board!) in hopes of sharing the gospel with Indian tribes there. An incredible story. I chuckled, I wept, and I was reminded of the power of a single, ordinary life committed to God.
What's on your book list this year? Don't forget to tell me what your favorite book is...maybe it will be the 12th on my list. :)
Linked to Bookin' It in 2011 over at Life As Mom!
P.S. This post contains Amazon affiliate links. :)