Thursday, January 20, 2011

Alicia and the $80 Jeans {Try New Adventures Thursday!}

jeans
Image Credit
On Tuesday I confessed to you that dressing up and accessorizing are not my strong suite. In fact, as I went through my closet in preparation for Blissdom, I realized that my wardrobe is confused. Sometimes it thinks I'm still pregnant (there are several maternity items still lingering). It definitely thinks I never go anywhere cold. {Boots? What are those?} And my closet has the audacity to think I want to do laundry every other day because there were only two pairs of pants that actually fit me!

So, at the end of date night recently, hubby and I decided to jot into the mall to see if I could find any nice-fitting jeans.

We went into Express. In the past I have found that some of their jeans fit me fabulously.

I grabbed a few pairs and headed for the dressing room. I was not disappointed--I found the perfect pair.

Perfect, that is, until I looked at the price tag. $80.

You could have picked me up off the rugged, modern floor (as if the very loud pop music alone wasn't coma-inducing enough...).

Good-bye, Express! I'm workin' the cash envelopes here, and there is no way I'm forking out $80 for a pair of jeans.

Then it dawned on me. Ebay! At home I perused their site for a few days, and then I found the same pair of jeans. Shipped to my door for $18.50. And pre-shrunk, at that!

This is one of my first experiences buying clothes on eBay, and I will admit that it requires patience. I tried the same idea with a pair of Old Navy jeans, and the ones I received from eBay turned out to be too tight (an older version of the same pair of jeans). So I'll resell those. But overall, I was pleased to be able to find my $80 jeans for a fraction of the cost.

Do you shop for clothes online? 
__________________________

Time to share your adventures for Try New Adventures Thursday! Link up your blog post below, and  link back to Alicia's Homemaking. Then visit around, see what everyone else has been up to, and leave them some comment love. You can learn more about the idea behind Try New Adventures Thursday here. You can also tweet about your TNAT post on Twitter using the hashtag #TryNewAdventures. :)

P.S. Don't forget to enter to win your copy of Creating Your Perfect Cleaning Schedule!




Share/Bookmark

13 comments:

  1. I dont, only because I hate return shipping clothes, and I have an awkward body that never seems to fit in the sizes I think it will. I am not that tall, but all legs, so I dont know...imagine trying to find jeans for a stork that had a baby a year ago and it still adjusting to the uh..'new' shape of her hips. Haha its not good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do this when jeans shopping as well. I've found the (expensive) brand that fits for my body (I'm tall) and I buy them on ebay for $20 or $30 instead of $150-$200. Have fun at Blissdom in your new jeans!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of Express jeans, maybe that's what I've been searching for all my life! Haha! I have a tendency to shop online, buy a ton of stuff, try it on in the comfort of my own home (without trying to keep Susannah happy, juggle my coat, pocketbook, baby stroller, clothes draped over my arm and squeezed into a phone-booth-sized dressing room), and then return what I don't want/doesn't fit to the local store. I, too, have a hard time finding jeans that fit right, but I've never tried on an $80 pair - maybe that's where I'm going wrong :O I'll have to see if I can find some of those stores and maybe I'll find the jeans of my dreams! (Not that I'd PAY $80 for them! I like your idea to look on ebay after finding the right size/brand in-store...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! I've never bought any clothes {for myself - I have for others} online. I always want to try them on and it seems like too much work to try them on and then return them if they don't work out. Although, if I fell in love with a pair of jeans and could find them cheaper online, I'd do it for sure. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good going Alicia! You can be so happy when you have new clothes for little money! I just bought some new stuff on bargain sale, very cheap and very goodlooking. I'm so happy!!! Love Amelie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly, unless people start selling munchkin sized clothes, online ordering is not going to work for me. I'm 4'11 on a good day. LOL. And I have a very, very curvy body, so unless I am at the store trying stuff on, regular sizes just don't fit me. I'm a little ashamed to say that in my younger days, I used to spend in the $200 range for a good pair of jeans. I still have them, 6 years later, and they DID fit great until I got pregnant, again. I also paid $220 for a pair of pricey premium lable maternity jeans. Those have lasted throughout each pregnancy as well. For me, it's super pricey for nice jeans with my crazy body type, but the feeling I get with a good pair is worth it. Would I go out and buy them now? Nope, not a chance. That $200 would purchase an entire year's worth of clothes for my kids, so that's not happening. But do I regret purchasing them? Nope. How do you think my husband noticed me at that bar??? LOL.

    Have an awesome time at Blissdom in your new fabulous jeans!

    Ammie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did raise an eyebrow when I saw the title of your post. Way to go, scoring such a bargain! I do shop for clothes online, but not jeans. I made the mistake of ordering a few pairs of pants a while back. They still need to be hemmed--a potential future adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post takes you to new levels of brilliant in my book! What a great idea...I always feel silly going into stores like Express because even their sales are usually expensive--now I have a reason to try! I don't buy clothes online, but I might if I had tried them on in-store! Otherwise, I finally found a pair at Target I feel comfortable in that is regularly priced at $20. I bought three pairs when they went on sale for $15!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I shop for clothes online for my kids - but in order to buy clothes for myself, that would require me actually shopping for myself, lol. My wardrobe consists of pajamas. Very stylish ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not brave enough (and a little too picky about fit) to buy clothes online BUT my mind might be changed with a deal like that! Way to bargain hunt, glad it worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've only had luck half the time with online shopping. It's strange to me that I sometimes can't fit extra small when I know people who are even smaller than I am. Either way, I have a strong dislike for shopping. I have heard good things about Express pants. I will probably be buying my next pair of black pants from there. Will scope out eBay too. I hope you used ebates as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I often find I have to shop on clothes because I wear unusual sizes (bras are nearly impossible for me in-store). I have trouble paying more than $60 for a pair of jeans (up from my original stance of $30), but I always try to remind myself that I wear jeans every day that I'm not working and we should spend the most money on the things we wear the most. As hard as it is to find jeans, when you find a pair that fit, it can be a mistake to pass them up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have purchased clothes on ebay for years! Sometimes you get burned a bit, but for the most part it surely has saved me a ton of money on name brand items and kids clothes lots! I also sell it back on ebay, which is really fun.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. :) I know your time is precious, so I appreciate the time you spend reading and giving feedback.

Please be respectful of others and kind with your words.