Thursday, January 19, 2012
Take it from me--if you go into the hospital to have a baby during one year and get discharged in another, you're going to feel a bit confused. Behind. Still bewildered that it's January...halfway through January!
My goals for the year have yet to be nailed out. My reading list is still in the works. My laundry is undone. The days fly.
The one beginning-of-the-year thing that I have faithfully started is a tool to help me slow down and savor--to still my heart and contemplate the mercies of God every day. I'm continuing my gratitude journal, using Ann Voskamp's January Joy Dare as a prompt. My good friend Christina is joining me, and each day we'll text each other one or two of the gifts we documented that day. It helps me be accountable to follow through, and it's a sweet way to glimpse God's kindness in both of our lives.
A few of the gifts I've treasured...
284. Friends' sweet wishes and prayers for us through the last 2 weeks.
286. A little boy on a Chick-fil-A date with his mommy (just the two of us!)
287. The hum of a smoothly running car.
288. The rythmic rocking of the baby swing.
289. Little newborn grunts.
290. Florida dusk.
291. Staring into baby's perfectly-shaped, dark blue, alert eyes--something that made me quiet.
292. Milk and cookies and whipped cream. :)
I'll keep sharing my gifts periodically throughout 2012. Are you listing 1000 gifts this year?
Share your Thursday adventures below! Just link up your blog post, link back to Alicia's Homemaking, and try to visit around and leave a few encouraging comments on other participant's blog posts. Our twitter hashtag is #TryNewAdventures!