Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Lately I have been slightly perturbed when I've had to fork out $.79 at the grocery store for a packet of taco seasoning (I mean, I can get a box of cereal for this much!). I use taco seasoning frequently, but had not invested the time to look up what is actually in it so I could make it myself.

Then lo and behold, as I was reading Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy, I discovered her recipe for homemade taco seasoning! So here's what I was doing yesterday evening...

Gathering the ingredients, all of which were in my spice cabinet:

Throw them all together...

I added a little more chili powder, because we like things hot.
Wha-la! I put it in some jars I had saved and made some labels. Whenever a recipe calls for taco seasoning, I can use 2 TBSP of this!


Here's the official recipe from Miserly Moms:
____________
Taco Spice Mix

1/4 cup red pepper flakes or chili powder (I did mostly chili powder and some red pepper flakes)
1/4 cup ground cumin
1/4 cup oregano
2 T. cayenne
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup onion powder
3 T. salt
1 T. cloves

Mix together. Add 2 tablespoons to one pound ground meat.
___________________________________

I'll let you know what I think of it when I actually use it in a recipe.
*Update* I have been using this taco seasoning in our recipes for over a year now...we love it!
~Alicia

This post is linked to Works for Me Wednesday and Frugal Friday and Moms In Need of Mercy's Once-a-Month Cooking Festival.
Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

I love your comments. :) I know your time is precious, so I appreciate the time you spend reading and giving feedback.

Please be respectful of others and kind with your words.