Thursday, September 2, 2010

Try New Adventures Thursday: Take a Class!

I'm not quite sure how to convey to you my excitement about my latest adventure. I wish you could have it with me!

Five (ish) years ago, my parents both took an awesome class on Christianity/World Missions. They still haven't stopped talking about it. I find the class reader pulled out every other time I visit their house. The class is called Perspectives On The World Christian Movement (Perspectives for short). And it's being offered in my town!

My gallant husband volunteered to watch Squishy for the 3 hours each week that I would need to carve out to go to class, and so last week (with a few silly pre-class jitters in my stomach!) I attended the first session.

It. was. awesome.

I want to ramble on and on about it, but I'm afraid I would lose you. Here are a few reasons I'm excited about this class:
  • I'm excited about getting a "big picture" view when it comes to how God is working in the world and how I can participate. 
  • The speakers. Sweet, seasoned Christians who have served around the world. Someone different teaches the class every week.
  • I'm looking forward to the assigned readings--and having deadlines that push me to complete the readings!
  • Meeting people from different churches all around my town.
  • I'm eager to learn, in general. For the last 4-5 years, I've done most of my learning outside of a classroom setting, so I think it will be nice to experience the "structure" of that again.
What about you--when's the last time you took a class (either to further your knowledge or learn a new skill)?
 _____

Link up your new adventures! Don't forget to link to your specific post (not your blog's homepage), link back to me (so others can read about everyone's different adventures), and visit around!




Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

  1. My Mr. Sojourner has taken that class too and still uses the book. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of this but none in our area right now. How many weeks is it?

    The last time I took a class in a classroom was right before I was pregnant with M. So almost 4 years ago? I got my BS in Business Administration already but decided to go for a Child Dev degree and was 1 class away from finishing. Doh!

    I'm thinking about taking a sewing class, but the irony of it is that my mom used to be a seamstress so actually if she had the time she could teach me for free. =p

    Share about what you learn. That would be neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard so many great reports from friends who've taken the Perspectives course. It is nice that your husband is willing to make it possible for you. Enjoy!

    Last fall I joined a BSF class and loved it. I'm looking forward to this year's study of Isaiah. I also hope to join a Sunday morning class on John Piper's book, The Blazing Center, which starts later this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do in depth Bible studies whenever they're offered, but to be honest, I haven't taken a class on a certain topic or anything for a while. A long while, now that I think about it.

    I looked through the continuing education flyer from the local university for fall semester to see if they had one on photography, but I chickened out because I just have a shiny red Kodak and figured that I would feel foolish next to people with their schmancy cams.

    Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like to be a person with confidence...

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. :) I know your time is precious, so I appreciate the time you spend reading and giving feedback.

Please be respectful of others and kind with your words.