Monday, November 22, 2010

Freezing Up Sweet 'Taters {...and a Menu Plan}

I love the anticipation, pre-feast bustle, and post-meal relaxation with family that comes with Thanksgiving. On Wednesday, we are traveling to my parent's house to celebrate Squishy's 1st birthday and enjoy the holiday. In the meantime, I'm making pies in my kitchen and trying to keep the house clean so that we don't come back to a mess.

I know we are all up to our ears in Thanksgiving cooking, but while you're at the grocery store getting ingredients, stock up on sweet potatoes! They are fabulously cheap right now. On Saturday my local Wal-Mart had them priced at $.28/lb, and Publix has them for $.39/lb this week.

My plan is to eat the sweet potatoes fresh until we tire of them and then to freeze the abundance. Although I highly doubt I'll grow weary of sweet potatoes. They're one of my favorite things.

I like to boil them in their skins (after lopping off the ends) until they are soft. After they cool a bit, the skins come off easy as pie!

Peeling Sweet Potatoes
Slip a butter-knife under the skin..

Peeling 2
And watch it peel away!

To freeze sweet potatoes, you can beat them into a puree (using a mixer or your food processor) and then freeze in ziploc bags (you can add 2 TBSP lemon juice per quart of mashed potatoes to prevent browning). Or, you can whip up some lovely sweet potato casserole to stash away in the freezer for later. Although honestly, my favorite sweet potato dish has never made it into the freezer because it is too yummy to be let out of your site.

Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole in the making...I eat this stuff in spoonfuls before it even reaches the oven!

In other news, our menu plan is very simple this week since we'll only be home for 3 nights:

Breakfasts: Homemade yogurt, cream of wheat
Lunches: Sandwiches, leftovers
Monday Night's Dinner: Zucchini Parmesan with Garlic Bread
Tuesday Night's Dinner: Buffalo Chicken Soup and Biscuits (because, ya know, we probably won't get enough carbs in this week! Ha!)
Sunday Night: Pizza (dough is in the freezer).

Would you please share your favorite sweet potato recipe with me? I'm particularly looking for a killer sweet potato fries recipe. :D

What are your Thanksgiving plans?



Linked to Menu Plan Monday.
Share/Bookmark

10 comments:

  1. Ha ha!!!! I know, carbs are going to DO ME UNDER!!!! This looks awesome. I never thought of boiling them straight and then peeling. I have to give this a shot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps-I love the pics of the recipes on the sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you like the soup! :) It was even better the next day, although it doesn't sound like yours will make it that long :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yum. I can't say I've ever had sweet potato casserole, which is a shame, since I LOVE sweet potatoes. Perhaps I need to remedy this wrong on Thursday. ;) Have a great time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the lemon juice tip. We tried sweet potato casserole last year and loved it. We're definitely doing it every year. I haven't tried any sweet potato fries recipes yet, but we always order them instead of fries whenever we can. http://joyceandnorm.wordpress.com/2010/11/17/what-were-eating-sweet-potato-casserole/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe. Our local grocery store had sweet potatoes for $0.17 a pound yesterday. I never thought to cook and freeze them! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just slice up sweet potatoes into fries, brush them with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, and bake at 350 for 15 - 20 minutes. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We LOVE sweet potatoes around here. They are on sale this week so I think I am going to buy a ton and cook up and freeze.

    Our favorite recipe is Harvest Pot Roast...a roast with sweet potatoes rather than white potatoes. Soooo good...here is the link!

    http://cuttingbackkitchen.blogspot.com/2009/12/harvest-pot-roast.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my favorite sweet potato souffle recipe. It's my momma's:
    http://gapeachmom.blogspot.com/2009/12/sweet-potato-souffle.html

    But I also found out I love sweet potato fries. You cut them into strips, coat them with oil and toss them with a seasoning blend of chili powder and brown sugar. Bake them on a cookie sheet at 450 for 20-25 minutes. They are really yummy dipped in BBQ sauce!

    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another sweet potato lover here! I've never boiled them. But the peels also come off pretty easy when I just bake them. I wrap in foil and toss in the oven while I'm doing other baking.

    My personal favorite way to eat them is for breakfast--so yummy, warmed up w/a bit of butter & brown sugar stirred in. And filling too!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. :) I know your time is precious, so I appreciate the time you spend reading and giving feedback.

Please be respectful of others and kind with your words.