There are both exciting and tragic things happening in my back yard lately. Remember how at month 2 everything was pretty much hunky dory? Well, there have been a few developments, both of good and bad nature.We'll start with the casualties.
1) Florida storms are not very nice to container gardens. After several rainstorms pots have been upset, sometimes causing fruit and/or branches to fall off. As a result...
2) Three out of our four zucchini plants up and died. A storm flattened them and messed up their roots and they promptly expired. We did get two lovely zucchini fruits before they died! There is one plant left, and it looks rather ill. There is some sort of fungus growing on the leaves, I think.
|Can you doctor my last zucchini plant?|
4) Well, of course the tomatoes had to have their share of drama. Hello Blossom End Rot. We have still not been able to find a solution to this problem. Supposedly it's due to some sort of calcium deficiency in the soil. We water regularly, but I have not been able to find any sort of calcium spray to possibly abate the issue.
Thankfully, the ugly black spots are not affecting all of our plants. Look at these beauties:
5) Ok, I promise I'm getting towards the end of our gardening trials and moving on to the successes soon. But the parsley (which I planted last fall!) and the cilantro have gone to seed. But that's ok, because I haven't been cooking much lately...and we'll have seeds for replanting!
6) One of my neighbors gave me some cucumber plants! They are a comfort in light of our zucchini loss. We repotted them yesterday, and I'm curious to see if we'll get some cucumbers this late into the season.
7) Speaking of neighbors, our other neighbor tended our garden for us for an entire week while we were out of town! So sweet.
8) The most glorious success so far? Look at this lovely bell pepper...almost ready for picking! There are more like it on the horizon. Sooo exciting!
9) Here's hoping that the next month produces lots of bell peppers, tomatoes, and maybe even some cucumbers.
10) What's happening in your garden lately?
Linked to Top Ten Tuesday, Tuesday Garden Party, and Frugal Gardening 101.