Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Bookin' It: February Review and March's Plan


I stayed on track in February with my goal of reading a book every 2-3 weeks. I completed reading one of January's books--Desolation Island--and read Home and Haiti: Enchantment of the World (from the junior nonfiction section of my library).

Desolation Island by Patrick O'Brian
Number 5 in the Aubrey/Maturin series. In this book, Captain Aubrey is charged with the command of the Leopard, accompanied, as usual, by Dr Maturin. I really enjoyed this book and have already checked out #6 from the library. O'Brian slowly develops his characters layer by layer as you read each book, and I like his insight into human interaction. It amazes me that battle used to take place, ship to ship, gun to gun as O'Brian describes. When I read Master and Commander (the first book in the series), I tried to get my bearings as far as the ship itself went by referring to the picture at the front of the book, and I can tell it's time to refresh this. What's a jib, again?

Home by Marilynne Robertson
This book is a parallel to Gilead, which I loved. However, I didn't like this book as much. I just keep hoping that Jack will change...and...well, the book ends on a hopeful note, but it's not as redemptive as I hoped for.

Haiti: Enchantment of the World
This was a basic overview of the country of Haiti--it's history, government, environment, religion, culture. As I mentioned in a previous post, I am attempting to learn about a different country every month because I really don't know much as far as geography goes, and I want to learn! I had no idea that Haiti is in such a bad place as far as ecological resources go--the land is very barren due to overuse. I also read some from a very interesting blog written by missionaries to Haiti--Our Life in Haiti. The entries posted right after the earthquake hit are very eye opening.

This month's plan:

Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy (recommended by Crystal)
Nations in Transition: Bulgaria by Steven Otfinoski
The Fortune of War by Patrick O'Brian
Prayer: Finding the Hearts True Home by Richard Foster (I am going to go through this book slowly over several months)

~Alicia
Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. The book about Haiti sounds very interesting! And what a great idea to read about different countries. Geography wasn't a favorite subject of mine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning about a different country each month is a great goal. I'm inspired.

    And Miserly Moms is a great book. I read it 13 years ago -- the first book I ever read about frugality.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. :) I know your time is precious, so I appreciate the time you spend reading and giving feedback.

Please be respectful of others and kind with your words.